[GE users] Permissions for active_jobs/job_scripts directories

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Oct 31 13:14:22 GMT 2008

Hi Esteban,

Am 31.10.2008 um 10:28 schrieb Esteban Freire:

> Hi Reuti,
>
> I would like comment you some doubts.  We have been testing prolog
> script on the execution_hosts and it's exactly what we want.

great.

> But we still see an issue, when a job is submitted, while it's in
> state *qw*, the content for the job is on *$SGE_ROOT/default/spool/
> qmaster/job_scripts/job_ID* on the machine that is running the
> qmaster, a possible solution could be put 700 permissions to
> *job_scripts* directory,

As I suggested - great.

> but I'd would like to know if I could do the same that in the
> execution hosts, for example, configuring a prolog in the SGE
> global configuration for do this, by the way, we don't use NFS and
> therefore we don't have shared the $SGE_ROOT directory between the
> qmaster and the execution hosts.
>
> On the other hand, we tried to configure 700 permissions to
> *job_scripts* directory,
> but on the execution hosts, and  this  put  the queue  in error state.

Correct, as the executing job script will be done be the user of the
job. Therefore it must be tuned per file in this directory in the
prolog.

> Today, we're going to try install SGE with Berkeley DB spooling
> instead of classic spool,

You will still need to set the protections of one of the BDB files.
Although they are binary, some users could peak inside.

An easier approach: separate the submit and qmaster machine. On the
qmaster machine you could put the qmaster spooling directory into /
var/spool/sge/qmaster. When noone can login to the qmaster machine,
noone can see the jobs.

> I heard that you can configure *postgresgl* too, but I didn't find
> enough information about it, and I don't understand if Postgres is
> only used for the accounting, or it can be configured SGE +
> Postgres, instead use Berkley DB. I would appreciate if you can
> indicate  me some link/web page, with more information about how
> configure this.

For now it's only used in conjunction with ARCo. Somehow I remember
slightly, that in former times SGE could be compiled to use Postgres
for storing the spooling information. But maybe it was only to test
it's integration before it was decided to use BDB .

-- Reuti