[GE users] Re: More startup oddness

James Gibbon james.gibbon at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 16:24:23 BST 2008

Hi Chris and Michal,

Thanks for the replies -

> First off remove any hostnames you have associated with the loopback
> 127.0.0.1 address in /etc/hosts -- Grid Engine absolutely hates those
> entries. All hostnames have to be associated with non-loopback IP
> addresses. That may be your main issue.

OK, done that - although I'm sure that /etc/hosts had been in that
state for at least a year, quite honestly.

> The second issue is to not start sge_qmaster directly.

Yes; I only did that to get it to spit out some helpful error
messages.

Well, I don't get error messages now on starting sgemaster, but all
my queues have gone .. :o

 root at linux6:/data/linux6/jg# /etc/init.d/sgemaster start
    starting sge_qmaster
    starting sge_schedd
 local configuration linux6 not defined - using global configuration
 root at linux6:/data/linux6/jg#

 linux6:~> qstat -f
 linux6:~>

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

James

--
System Administrator