[GE users] Releasing requested consumable resources before job completion

Stephen Siard raayat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 18:16:50 BST 2008

2008/9/1 Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>

> Am 30.08.2008 um 19:52 schrieb Dioktos:
>
>  On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Am 30.08.2008 um 16:45 schrieb Dioktos <dioktos at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>>  I'm trying to find a way to effectively request the use of a CPU for a

>>> did you try to use load_adjustments in the scheduler configuration
>>> already?
>>>

>> Ah- no. I missed that. I suppose that's generally what I'm looking for
>> in this case. Thank you.
>>
>> ... After a bit of experimentation, I find that I need to use
>> load_short (or something even faster) to get a decent response time.
>>
>> It's still not what I'm really after, though, because I want to be
>> able to submit more low-CPU jobs and not have them bump the load
>> adjustment.
>>

> But you could bump up any other complex, which you e.g. assign only to the
> jobs with the high resource request during the beginning. Hence there are
> virtually less available. The bumped up complex can then be used to put the
> queue for this type of jobs into "alarm state", hence no further jobs of
> this type would go to this node, until it's again above a certain value (how
> load_thresholds works [triggered by "below" or "above"], depends on the
> relation defined for a complex).
>
> Normal type jobs won't be effected this way, as they run in a different
> queue and don't request thisd special resource.

The scheduler "bump" for load adjustment isn't configurable for different
job types. So even if only the special jobs request it, other jobs being
submitted will still cause the load adjustment and delay the execution of
more "high resource" jobs.

Basically, I want the number of high CPU jobs to be independent of the
number of low CPU jobs.

Thanks,
Stephen