[GE users] Scheduling based on queues having the greatest/least value of a resource?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Sep 8 11:17:08 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 05.09.2008 um 18:51 schrieb Mike Cumings:

> I have a grid with many queues per system, each queue having an
> integer resource defined on it.  Due to the way our application works,
> we expect more queues with greater values of this resource value to be

what does this recource represent? Diskspace, memory, ...?

> added over time.  It is expected that over time we will gradually
> retire queues with the lowest resource values to make room for new

What is the reason for this setup, I mean: when you get e.g. more
memory in some machines, you could just change the value of it for
this machine in SGE. There is no need to setup a special queue for it.

The usual approach might be to setup "seq_no" for these queues (in
the queue definition), and change the scheduler behavior to
"queue_sort_method                 load". But even with just one
queue, you could give different sequence numbers to different hosts.

-- Reuti