[GE users] Resource Reservation Issue

Bradford, Matthew matthew.bradford at eds.com
Sun Sep 14 12:01:07 BST 2008

Reuti,

Also noticed this effect with Resource Reservation:

I have 2 nodes, and 2 queues. Each node has a parallel queue and a
serial queue. The queues subordinate each other to prevent the running
of serial jobs and parallel jobs at the same time on the same node.

If I submit a serial job to comp1 node and another serial job to comp2
node, they both happily start executing, and the parallel queues on both
nodes are suspended due to subordination.

I can then submit a parallel job, such as

Qsub -R y -pe my_pe 2 mpi_job.sh

If I look in the schedule file, I can see that the scheduler is not
making any reservations, I'm assuming because the two parallel queues
are suspended, and therefore not considered.

If I kill one of the serial jobs, then the queue state of the parallel.q
on that node becomes available again, as the subordinating queue doesn't
have any jobs running in it.

If I now look at the schedule file, I would expect the scheduler to
reserve that node to be used for the parallel job. This doesn't however
appear to be the case. There is no scheduling being observed in the
schedule file.

Is this because the scheduler will only start reserving nodes for a
specific job if there are enough active (non-suspended) queues at that
moment in time that can meet the job requirements, and the only reason
the job can't run is due to other jobs already running in those queues?
The scheduler does not seem to make build up the reservation pool for a
job as slots become available, but will only activate the reservation
when all slots are active. If this is the case, then it looks like
subordination between queues causes problems. If, as in the test case
described, there is another job in the pending queue requesting a single
slot in the serial queue, it will be able to run as SGE has not placed a
reservation on the compute node. This means that it is possible that the
parallel job may never get enough resource available to start.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mat