[GE users] sge with perl

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Sep 15 11:53:38 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 15.09.2008 um 12:46 schrieb Mag Gam:

> I am a total newbie to SGE and we are implementing it in my
> university. At my lab, we have a perl job which takes over 2 hours to
> finish because its numerically intensive. I would like to see if I can
> distribute to several servers since we have 80 servers in a farm. This
> is on a 1G network. Is SGE able to do this? Or I need to do anything
> specific?  Any examples?

SGE will not make a parallel job from a serial one. If your Perl
script is running only serial, then it will do the same under SGE.
You can make it at least parallel by using perl threads and using
more then one core. This would mean to alter your script ti implement
these features.

Maybe converting your application to another programming language and
using a parallel library like MPI (e.g. Open MPI) would allow to
speed up your application considerably.