[GE users] How to combine SGE and Condor under the same submit system?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Sep 15 16:08:38 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 15.09.2008 um 16:32 schrieb Atle Rudshaug:

> I want to combine a dedicated cluster and the office workstations
> into a grid like system. I want  large mpi jobs to run on a Rocks
> cluster (which uses SGE) and smaller (mpi and non-mpi) jobs to run
> on available SMP workstations (using some technique for cycle
> scavenging with checkpointing and migration).
>
> AFAIK Condor is better for cycle scavenging and checkpointing/
> migration. Is there a way to combine SGE (for the cluster mpi jobs)
> and Condor (for cycle scavenging on the workstations) under the
> same submit system (GridWay? Condor-G? Condor-C?)? Or can SGE be
> used for the workstation cycle scavenging, from the already up and
> running Rocks cluster, as well?

you can combine them by using just the checkpointing feature of Condor:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/checkpointing.html (near the
end Condor integration is outlined)

and still submit all jobs in SGE. The workstations you can e.g.
handle with a calendar, so that they are available only outside the
working hours.

In contrast to a real Condor cluster (where no NFS need to be
present), you will either need it or script some file staging on your
own.