[GE users] user loads

Mag Gam magawake at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:14:15 BST 2008

Hello All,

As many of you know we are putting together a GRID at my university's
engineering lab. I wanted to know if we can throttle a user's job
depending on the load of the system. Lets say I have 16 servers and I
would like to submit a job.Each of these servers are a exec hosts.

node5 $ qsub very_large_job.bash

The job gets executed on node5, but I would like it to do is: an
inventory of the servers, find a server with the least load, memory
consumption and then execute the job, 'very_large_job.bash' on that
node. In the future I would like to distribute the load of
'very_large_job.bash' to all 16 servers and then get a result. I
suppose for the later I would need to rewrite my application with MPI
support. But I would like to get the first point capatlized before
moving forward.

I have been looking at the 'ticket weight' documentation but it looks
extremely arcane
(http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Submitting+Jobs) . Does
anyone have a much similar way to do this with command lines (its
easier to see what is going on with command lines and I get a better
perspective)?

Any thoughts on how to do this?  I am sorry if this is a newbie question.

TIA