[GE users] Help: Threaded dispatch problem

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Sep 17 09:31:30 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 17.09.2008 um 04:58 schrieb Lee Amy:

> I have a threaded(non-parallel)

then it is a parallel program anyway. Whether it uses:

- threads (operate on the same memory image) with e.g. Open MP or
hand-crafted
- forks (works on copies of the original programm plus maybe shared
memory segments or message pipes for communication)
- a parallel library like MPI, PVM, Linda, GlobalArrays, Charm++
which adds network communication

is only a different programming paradigm, and should be chosen after
analyzing the algorithm which fits best to the problem.

> program called tgicl at bioinformatics field. It can run on one
> single machine with multiple threads I prefer. However, I suppose
> that whether I can play a trick like that.
>
> For example, I start the program with 8 threads, 4 threads run on a
> single machine and other 4 threads run on another machine. Anyway,
> 8 threads belong to one job. I suppose that I should use a PE to do
> that.

No, SGE will only support programs which are already parallel on
their own by distributing them according to a necessary allocation
style, but it will not add any additional parallelism on its own to it.

You could of course try:

http://www.kerrighed.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

which adds a global memory space, and if it's of use for you, you
could post your results here.