[GE users] Reserving a queue for memory usage a <= b

Aaron Turner aaron at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Sep 23 10:24:24 BST 2008

Hello SGE users,

What I am looking to achieve is reserving some machines for higher
memory jobs.

The idea would be for:
1. Jobs capable of being scheduled on the smaller memory machines
(memory usage <= a) going to those machines.
2. Jobs of greater memory usage than a but less than b going to the high
memory machines.
3. Very high memory jobs we can't accomodate get rejected and the user
alerted.
4. The high memory machines being kept as busy as possible.
5. Any user with a job of memory usage greater than a and less than b
having the minimum wait possible before their job starts running.

In an ideal world all jobs would be checkpointable and submitted as such
so I could simply reduce the time slice down to a shortish time and
simply get the jobs rescheduled for additional processing. This would
also make the fair sharing a bit less clumpy. But I am still not
convinced the checkpointing issue is fully solved for arbitrary code.

So given this what is the best way to approach it? I did try setting up
a series of subordinations for the queues with a shorter queue to absorb
excess  jobs but not lock up the high memory machine for a long time
period with them but it doesn't seem to operate quite as I would have
hoped. Is there a better way of approaching this, such as adding a
complex to do this? The base complex relationships offer >= and <= but
not a <= b <= c!

Many thanks

Aaron Turner