[GE users] Reserving a queue for memory usage a <= b

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Sep 24 16:30:09 BST 2008

Am 24.09.2008 um 16:27 schrieb Aaron Turner:

> Reuti wrote:
> [...]
>
> Many thanks, that has done the trick!
>
>> See below.
> Actually we already had -w e enabled - I was just being belt and
> braces with my requirements list!
>> There is no "issue" with SGE regarding checkpointing, it is simply
>> not designed to do it on its own.
> I understand that. The issue is that it is not obvious how to do
> the checkpointing behind-the-scenes for users. This either requires
> a change in the integration of SGE and checkpointing so that we (as
> system admins) can maintain a list of application/environment
> pairings, or a default checkpointing environment working on an
> lowest common denominator basis. At the moment the integration
> isn't seamless and so a lot of users end up not running jobs
> against checkpointing environment. In a more service-oriented/
> software as a service paradigm in which the applications can be
> wrapped then the issue vanishes for users (i.e. system
> administrators effectively maintain the wrappers and the pairing of
> applications and the most efficient checkpointing environment). I
> do have in my intray a task to look the Berkley stuff, though, to
> see if that can provide a base environment.

If checkpointing is important: are you bound to Linux by your
applications? You could otherwise also look into other platforms/OSs
which supports it out-of-the-box.

Although IBM bought Meiosys some time ago, I never heard anything
about a new release of their MetaCluster software for checkpointing
arbitrary applications under Linux.

Would you use it mainly to send jobs to sleep and requeue them, or to
avoid losing computing time in case of a hardware crash?