[GE users] Please Review: Non-Multiplied Consumable Requests for Parallel Jobs

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Sep 25 12:34:37 BST 2008

Reuti,

> > as Andy already mentioned in our Release Plan we intend change the
> > multiplication by slots behavior for consumable requests with PE jobs. The
> > spec how we suggest to target this issue is attached. Any feedback or
> > comments are appreciated.
>
> this is great and sounds reasonable. It will cover a few RFEs in Issuzilla at
> once.

One RFE is not covered: exclusive node allocation. A host can accept
multiple jobs to run, but a job requesting a host exclusively cannot run
when there are other jobs already running on that host. As soon as a
exclusive job is running the host would not accept any other jobs.

We've been discussing it, but time will be likely too limited to implement
this for Urubu. The rule would be as follows:

E  = exlusive job
NE = non exclusive job

job  host status     action
------------------------------------
NE   empty           schedule
NE   NE running      schedule
NE   E running       do not schedule
E    empty           schedule
E    NE running      do not schedule
E    E running       do not schedule

To say it in other words:

  if (NE)
     if (E running)
        do not schedule
     else
        schedule
  else
     if (empty)
        schedule
     else
        do not schedule

In addition it should be possible to mark a host to accept exclusive jobs
only to avoid to setup a special queue for those hosts.

In principle I think it should not be limited to one exclusive job but up to
N jobs. Is there a realistic use case for it for that scenario?

> One small question: there was somewhere on the mailing list mentioning, that
> his software needs one license per host, independed from the number of
> processes/jobs running there (host-locked floating license). As far as I
> understand the complex attached as HOST consumable right now, it's per job on
> a node. So to cover his request we would need another type like HOSTLOCKED /
> HOSTONCE or so? The total amount could be specified by setting it in global
> then.

Do you think you can find the RFE in issuezilla?

Well, if you manage this license as follows:

global_host:   complex_values host-locked-float-lic=1
<hosts>:       complex_values host-locked-float-lic=1

at most 1 job could run in the whole cluster requesting the
host-locked-float-lic license. Or di I misunderstand the use case?

Andy