[GE users] SGE-6.0u7: sort by seq_no works only for parallel jobs.

Erik Soyez E.Soyez at science-computing.de
Thu Sep 25 13:44:13 BST 2008

Dear list,

after hours of debugging I have just discovered a very peculiar
phenomenon.  Our customer has sorted hosts within one queue by
sequence numbers in order to get jobs running on fast machines
first.  This works as expected for jobs requesting a PE.  But it
does not work for serial jobs.  Strange enough, those are sorted
neither by seqno nor by load.

Is it a known bug of 6.0u7?  An unkonwn bug?  No bug but a feature?

It's okay now as they simply request "-pe smp 1".  I hope that it
will work normally again once they upgrade to some later version
but maybe one of you knows more about it (Reuti?  Chris?  Mark?).

Thanx!  Erik Soyez.

Vorstand/Board of Management:
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: