[GE users] Please Review: Non-Multiplied Consumable Requests for Parallel Jobs

Roland Dittel Roland.Dittel at Sun.COM
Fri Sep 26 07:24:53 BST 2008

Andy Schwierskott schrieb:
> Mark,
>
> does it mean that there use cases where your cleanup queue would accept
> mpich jobs (which are non-starcd jobs)? Otherwise I guess the cleanup queue
> would not include mpich in the pe_list.
>
> Your suggestion sounds quite reasonable. Setting 0 for a consumable on a
> queue works today and ensures a proper scheduling of a parallel jobs. If it
> weren't allowed with a HOST consumable we'd introduce a limitation.

OK, I will respect this special case in the final spec

Roland

> Andy
>
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Olesen, Mark wrote:
>
>> Hi Roland,
>>
>> I am really glad this RFE is being addressed. It does get a bit annoying
>> defining "-l 0.166666" licenses!
>>
>> From the spec:
>>> In case of "HOST" the requested amount of the resource is debited as
>>> requested (without multiplication) in every allocated queue. Such
>>> "host"-consumables can not be attached to queues because of potential
>>> host overlap which would lead to scheduling conflicts.
>> Attaching a zero "host" consumable to a queue should be allowed though.
>> This would allow certain queues to be precluded in the selection
>> process.
>>
>> Eg submitting a job without a queue specification:
>>
>>   qsub -l starcd=1 -pe mpich 16 ...
>>
>> I might wish to define starcd=0 for my 'cleanup' queue, which might
>> consist of 128 slots per (dual-cpu) host.
>> Perhaps using "starcd=NONE" instead of "starcd=0" in the queue file
>> specification would ease parsing?
>>
>> /mark
>> This e-mail message and any attachments may contain
>> legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information,
>> or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON
>> Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice
>> serves as marking of its "Confidential" status as defined
>> in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender
>> and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
>> or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this
>> message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
>> notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
>> of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
>> If you have received this message in error, please
>> immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail
>> message from your computer.

Roland Dittel               Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-275 (x60275)
Software Engineering        Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:roland.dittel at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware
Registered Office / Sitz der Gesellschaft:
   Sun Microsystems GmbH
   Sonnenallee 1
   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
   Germany
Commercial register of the Local Court of Munich /
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Muenchen:
   HRB 161028
Managing Directors / Geschaeftsfuehrer:
   Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates
   Martin Haering