[GE users] DRMAA submit job from another host

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 26 13:38:23 BST 2008

Am 26.09.2008 um 14:11 schrieb Atle Rudshaug:

> Reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 25.09.2008 um 15:31 schrieb Atle Rudshaug:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm trying to simplify our submit to queue system in our
>>> application by going from manual submission to using DRMAA.
>>> However, now we are submitting all jobs from a common submit host
>>> (everyone uses ssh to log on to the common submit host and runs
>>> qsub...). Is it possible to keep this behavior using DRMAA or do
>>> we have to install SGE on each and every computer that should
>>> have this DRMAA functionality?
>>
>> whatever you prefer. The submission machines need just to be
>> submit hosts. There is noting to install on these machines,
>> besides having access to the proper libdrmaa.so.
>>
>> -- Reuti

> Ok...so I do not need to install anything on the submit hosts?

Correct. Only read access to the $SGE_ROOT should be there, unless
you decide to copy it (the configured $SGE_ROOT/default/common) to
each of your submission hosts.

> I thought they had to run some daemons or something.

No.

> Do they automatically know about the master host just by linking in
> the libdrmaa.so library?

You have to set SGE_ROOT and SGE_CELL, I think that's all. Usually
this is done when you source $SGE_ROOT/default/common/settings.sh,
which will also set the proper path for the SGE libraries, as
libdrmaa.so must be known for the application.

It will find the act_qmaster file then and knows whom to contact.

> or
>
> Do I just register them as submit hosts with the master SGE host
> through some provided script

This must be done in addition.

qconf -as <hostname>

-- Reuti