[GE users] Advanced scheduling with checkpointing

Gerald Ragghianti geri at utk.edu
Fri Sep 26 17:49:28 BST 2008

Hello everyone,

I have a certain scheduling policy that I would like to implement, but I
am having trouble determining if it is even possible with SGE.  I would
like to have job priorities determined by share tree tickets (no problem
there).  Then I want jobs to be checkpointed/suspended or
started/resumed based on the job priorities each iteration.  This would
allow us to remove all limits on number of used job slots per user while
still ensuring low queue times for those with high enough priority.
This seems like a kind of panacea of scheduling algorithms (and
relatively simple), but I have yet to find a resource manager that will
support it.

So can SGE do this or something close to it?

Thanks,

--
Gerald Ragghianti
IT Administrator - High Performance Computing
E-mail: geri at utk.edu