[GE users] Learning to set up queues

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Fri Sep 26 20:34:40 BST 2008

I have 32 nodes.   I want to have a queue where jobs that need high
priority and a maximum of 2 hours of CPU can be submitted and a queue
where jobs that need high priority and will use a maximum of 24 hours
of CPU can be submitted.

I put all 32 nodes into 3 queues; ie., reg.q, 2hour.q and 24hour.q.
All queues show up with 32 nodes.

Through qmon, I limited 2hour.q to 2 hours CPU and set nice to -4.
				I limited 24 hour.q to 24 hours of CPU and set nice to -2
			I set nice on reg.q to +2

Is this the best way to set this up?

Jobs submitted to 2hour.q will get the highest priority.  Jobs
submitted to 24hour.q will be next on the schedule.  Jobs submitted to
reg.q will get last billing.  I understand that the submission wait
time and the requirements of the jobs also weigh in on the run priority.

I have an SGI XE 1300 cluster running Rocks 5 and RedHat,  Linux
version 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5