[GE users] Learning to set up queues

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 26 22:15:00 BST 2008

Hi Margaret,

Am 26.09.2008 um 21:34 schrieb Margaret Doll:

> I have 32 nodes.   I want to have a queue where jobs that need high
> priority and a maximum of 2 hours of CPU can be submitted and a
> queue where jobs that need high priority and will use a maximum of
> 24 hours of CPU can be submitted.
>
> I put all 32 nodes into 3 queues; ie., reg.q, 2hour.q and
> 24hour.q.  All queues show up with 32 nodes.
>
> Through qmon, I limited 2hour.q to 2 hours CPU and set nice to -4.
> 				I limited 24 hour.q to 24 hours of CPU and set nice to -2
> 			I set nice on reg.q to +2

small add on to Chris reply:

- Never ever use nice values < 0 for user tasks; they are reserved
for system processes. You could use 2hrs=0, 24hrs=10, reg.q=19 (the
lowest setting for Linux). As nice values are only relative to each
other, you can setup all while staying in the range 0..19. Having n
jobs with the same nice value will lead to the same distribution of
computing time among them. Whether it's 0 or 19 for all.

Which values you want for the three queues, you can only decide by
observing the shared computing time in `top`or similar tools. There
is no absolute setting possible by telling the kernel 20% per reg.q,
30% for 24hours, 50% for 2hours. As Chris pionted out, you can use
the functional policy do it for you, as it adjusts the nice values
according to your policy setup, e.g. by using three projects.

- To avoid people flooding the cluster, you could use an RQS to limit
the maximum running jobs per user.

-- Reuti