[GE users] fedora core 9

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Sep 30 13:29:19 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 30.09.2008 um 14:16 schrieb Andrea Lindner-Lorenz:

> we use SGE 6.1u2 . Since some days we have installed some of our
> submit hosts with fedora core 9. We recognize that qstat does not
> work. Here are the error message.
>
> error: commlib error: can't connect to service (Connection refused)
> error: unable to contact qmaster using port 6444 on host
> "xyz.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE"
>
> But SGE Qmaster use an other port which is set by nis-tables
>
> ypcat services | grep sge
> sge_qmaster     536/tcp         # communication port for SUN
> GridEngine
> sge_execd       539/tcp         # communication port for SUN
> GridEngine
>
> If I export SGE_QMASTER_PORT=536 that qstat works fine.
>
> Does anybody else use fedora core 9? Probebly this problem is
> already solve in a newer version.

in newer Linux distributions, the ports for SGE are already set in
the /etc/services file to be 6444 and 6445. Depending on the order
of /etc/nsswitch.conf, first the local file is scanned, where it
finds the (for your setup) wrong information.

http://gridengine.info/2006/09/19/sge-gets-registered-iana-port-numbers

Just remove the two false entries for port 6444/6445 from the local /
etc/services file. Although editing /etc/nsswitch.conf should work,
it would mean a delay for any basic service lookup, if the nis server
is down, and had to wait for a timeout.