[GE users] New install but keep current configuration

Lubomir Petrik Lubomir.Petrik at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 30 15:17:46 BST 2008

Hi Iwona,
the best way would be to upgrade to different SGE_ROOT (Cloned cluster
configuration method in
http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Upgrading+Sun+Grid+Engine+Software
).

This will let you change the filesystem and transfer your setup to the
SGE 6.2 cluster. We however can't transfer pending jobs. The safest way
is the one described in the wiki.

In many environments it might me possible to do the the upgrade while
keeping the users on 6.0 and test the new 6.2 as administrator. The
additional load produced by new 6.2 cluster should not affect the old
cluster much (depending what your testing exactly does). Once you decide
to switch to 6.2 the best way would be to drain the 6.0 of any
pending/running jobs and only then start the 6.2.
Another possibility would be to shutdown all 6.2 execds after you've
verified it works properly and redirect users to the 6.2 cluster. This
would ensure that all new jobs to go to the pending job list of the 6.2
cluster, while only remaining jobs of 6.0 are being finished. Of course
no new jobs could be executed until 6.0 is empty,  and you manually
started the 6.2 execds.
Note that if you use ARCo or need continues job accounting, the only
proper way is the one on the wiki. Also be sure to select next jobID
high enough, so there is no overlap in the jobID from the last job of
the 6.0 cluster and first job in 6.2.

Please let me know, if your upgrade succeeded and what issues you
encountered, if any.

Thanks,
   Lubos.