[GE users] job scheduling on different queues

bomb20 Harvey.Richardson at zeenty.com
Mon Aug 3 19:38:58 BST 2009

> Thanks - I can see from that description how it would immediately work
> for a single node job, but it's not immediately obvious how this
> integrates with parallel environments? I suspect that's more of an open
> question to the dev team. A HOWTO for using this feature to schedule
> dedicated nodes for parallel environments would certainly be useful
> (maybe a job for gridengineinfo?) I imagine that the overheads for this
> method are much lower than for mutually subordinating queues.
>
 > Regards
 > Mike

I submitted the RFE to ask for exclusive scheduling and I tested it when
SGE 6.2u3 was released.  I was able to mix interactive sessions, batch jobs
and jobs that were distributed using a PE.  The exclusive jobs were kept
separate such that only slots used by one exclusive job would be allocated to
a given host.

The cluster I have been maintaining has a set of users who normally want
exclusive access to hosts.  Without this feature it is troublesome to
use less than the full number of slots per host - particularly so for
tight integration PEs.

I only recently joined this list so don't know if this feature helps
you.

Harvey