[GE users] ulimits and large openmpi scaling - best way to alter limits for running under SGE?

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Aug 4 14:40:47 BST 2009

Hi folks,

When trying to run an openmpi job above 950+ CPU cores I always seem
to hit this error:

> mca_oob_tcp_accept: accept() failed: Too many open files (24).

... which clearly seems to be a system limit/ulimit issue. We are
running RHEL5 on Intel Nehalem.

Looking for the "most proper" way to deal with ulimit settings with
SGE - I seem to recall there is a proper way to do this and I can't
for the life of me remember. Do we put ulimit statements into
submission scripts? Personal shell startup files? Bake them into the
SGE daemon start scripts?

Any tips on expanding/setting ulimits for running apps under SGE would
be appreciated, thanks!

-Chris