[GE users] Background jobs

eddale eddale at cs.unc.edu
Tue Aug 4 20:12:37 BST 2009

Hello,

I've been tasked with creating a grid configuration that saturates the
grid with background jobs at all times.  Anytime a foreground job is
submitted, it should take priority and execute.  My boss would like this
to be done by having an equal number of foreground and background slots
so that a 16-cpu node would have 32 slots, 16 belonging in the
foreground queue and 16 in the background queue.  Background jobs should
be run with a nice value of +20 and never be suspended with the thought
that the nice value will eliminate any contention.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this configuration?  I'm not crazy
about always oversubscribing the nodes.  Ideally, we'd be able to use
the slot-wise suspension that Harald Pollinger posted previously, but we
can't wait for that to be implemented.

Thanks,
Edward