[GE users] Submit problems

zzachariah zackzac at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 22:13:07 BST 2009

Aha! That definitely helped a lot in tracking the problem down. Using -cwd option allowed me to see the error messages in log files collected in the current working directory. So the script was complaining:

Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell...

Puzzling as it seems to be, the scripts in the examples directory $SGE_ROOT/examples/jobs could be run as non-root users.
Documentation for this problem led me to check my login script for the use of stty command which could throw up such a message.   Although my login script did not seem to  contain any command for stty, (could be something was sourcing some initializing script that had it), I used a simpler login script that was just sufficient to set up my environment  in the grid system. Now I am able to run my job as a non-root user.

Thanks for all responses.

--Zac