[GE users] Exclusive node scheduling & share tree

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Aug 7 11:29:44 BST 2009

Am 06.08.2009 um 19:04 schrieb eddale:

> We have our 6.2u2 grid setup with a share tree and the
> SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE,ACCT_RESERVED execd_params.  How will this be
> affected by the new exclusive node scheduling in 6.2u3?  If a user
> requests exclusive access to a 16-cpu node, we'd like wallclock*16
> to be
> recorded in the share tree.  I have a feeling that only wallclock*1
> usage will be recorded.

Then I would suggest to use the former method to submit with "-pe smp
16" and the PE smp having the setting of "allocation_rule
$pe_slosts". The exclusive access is more useful if you need only 4
out of 16 cores and only a small memory footprint, but a high I/O.
Before you had to fake the jobscript, as you got 16 cores in $NSLOTS
but you will use only 4.

To record the accounting of all slots, this would vary on which node
you land on depending on the installed cores. Maybe this is an RFE.
This might mean of course, that in case you want exclusive access
because of disk-I/O, it might be charged different - depending on the
machine you got.

-- Reuti