[GE users] confugre queues with different policies

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Aug 11 00:09:03 BST 2009

Am 10.08.2009 um 15:45 schrieb templedf:

> In SGE, scheduling is a two-phase process.  Phase 1 is to sort the
> pending jobs according to policies, and phase 2 is to match the
> pending
> jobs in sorted order with available job slots.  The queues are not
> considered in phase 1.  There is no way to have one or more queues
> operate under a different scheduling policy from the others.

Well, yes - but in some way it could be simulated.

- This special FIFO queue will need a forced complex, hence only jobs
requesting it will go thereto - use "-l fifo" instead of "-q fifo".
- Use a JSV (job-submission-verifier) in SGE 6.2u3 to attach a system
hold to all jobs submitted to this queue).
- Use a cron-like job to remove the hold from the job with the lowest
job_id in this queue.
- Instead of the cron-job you can also make the qmaster an exechost
which is nowhere used to be really an exechost, but will run a load-
sensor. This load-sensor will not return anything, but just run the
algorithm to release the jobs on hold.

Drawback: usage of the FIFO queue will be honored by the other queues.

> Daniel
>
> gg3796 wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>> My cluser has 5 queues and the ticket Policy Hierarchy is confugured
>> as "OSF". I want one queue to just use FIFO. Is there a way to
>> configure one queue for that?

Will you set aside some special machine(s) for this FIFO queue? Then
you can also setup a second SGE instance on the same qmaster (using
different ports) and use a transfer queue http://
gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/TransferQueues/transferqueues.html
(needs some updates to work with the actual SGE release).

-- Reuti

PS: Yeah, sometimes the old qmove from DQS to move jobs between cells
would be nice; or Codine's transfer queues.