[GE users] array job has taken over

mbay2002 jeff at haferman.com
Wed Aug 12 19:04:07 BST 2009

Hi -
I'm pretty new to SGE, I know very basic administrative stuff and am
still learning.

We have a vanilla install with 144 nodes, each with 8 cores.  We have
not done any policy configuration.

A user has submitted an array job with 36000 elements.  It was the
earliest job submitted, and now her job has taken over every core on the
cluster.

We have several users waiting who just need a few cores, some just need
a single core.  Many of their jobs have a higher priority than the
running array job.

But, what happens is that everytime the array job index increases,
another one starts to execute as the core is freed up.

I need some general help in configuring a policy so that her array job
is somehow put on hold automatically so that our other users can
execute.

Jeff