[GE users] array job has taken over

mbay2002 jeff at haferman.com
Wed Aug 12 23:02:48 BST 2009

On Wed Aug 12 2009 at  1:08 PM PDT, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Am 12.08.2009 um 21:30 schrieb ron:
>
> > You need to setup some scheduler policies, see "Scheduler Policies
> > for Job Prioritization in the N1 Grid Engine 6 System":
>
> Will this also work for array jobs? AFAIK, once an array job was
> scheduled, all tasks are allowed to start.
>
> Another option could be to limit the number of allowed slots per user
> in an RQS, or to limit the active instances of an array job by
> setting max_aj_instances in SGE's configuration (where the default is
> 2000).

I'll read the Scheduler Policy document, but it would be nice to know
whether it applies to array jobs.

Setting max_aj_instances will be helpful, I can do that immediately,
though we have approximately 1000 cores, and sometimes there is very
little demand, so an array job user might ask why they are limited to a
fraction of those cores when nobody else is waiting to use them...