[GE users] Need help on configuring queues

mad margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Thu Aug 13 15:51:38 BST 2009

I want to build three queues

het no limits, includes compute-0-30. compute-0-31, compute-0-32,
compute-0-33
het-24hr, 24 hr limit, includes 8 processors, compute-0-33
het-2hr, 2 hr limit, includes 16 processors, compute-0-32 and
compute-0-31

het-2hr and het-24hr take precedent over het on their compute nodes.

At the moment all three queues can use all four compute-nodes so I am
getting crossover use from one queue to another.
All 32 slots are being used by het and 8 slots are being used on
het-24hr.  This means that one of the compute nodes
has twice as many jobs running on it than it should.

If the het queue is running 32 jobs (all the slots filled) and someone
starts a job on het-24hr, I would like the grid engine
to suspend the eight jobs on compute-0-33 and run the job submitted to
het-24hr.  When the job submitted to het-24hr
completes, the eight jobs that were suspended on compute-0-33 should
resume.

I was thinking that the Subordinates section might solve this problem,
but if het is a subordinate to het-24hr, will all of it's
jobs be suspended or just the ones on the shared compute nodes?