[GE users] qstat2 only shows my own jobs

uddeborg uddeborg at carmen.se
Fri Aug 14 08:20:39 BST 2009

bomb20 writes:
> I can just remove this option (you can remove the "-u" case from
> the parse_args subroutine in the scripts) if I assume nobody has an
> old Grid Engine config.

The -u flag was there before the switch too.  Only the default, when
no explicit -u flag was given, changed.  So just passing the -u flag
to qstat directly would work in an old environment too.  You didn't
HAVE to do the filtering in the script.  (Or do I miss something?)

Thinking about it, it would probably cause the least surprises.  Let
qstat and qstat2 give the same semantics to -u.  In a newer
environment, that means "-u $USER" is the default.  Those still
running old versions will get "-u \*" as default.  But as long as it
is the same for both commands, I believe most users will be less
surprised.

As an added bonus, things like "qstat2 -u j*" would start working too.

> Just make sure you quote the -u "\*" somehow
> on your qstat2 command line.

The "double quoting" necessary if I just remove the -u parsing is a
problem.  I have very little experience with perl myself.  Is there
some way to say "add quotes to each member" to @q_arg in perl?
Something similar to "$@" in the shell, which expands to all the $@
arguments, individually quoted.

> Note that the "-j" flag is completely different.

I was a little brief there.  It is true it is different in the sense
that the argument can't be passed directly to qstat to solve the
problem.  But there is a related problem in that "qstat -j X" will
give me information about job X under all circumstances, while
"qstat2 -j X" will give me information about job X only if it happens
to be my own job.  Otherwise I will get nothing.