[GE users] Requesting Slots for Parallel Jobs Based on Cores/CPU

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Aug 17 22:57:06 BST 2009

Hi,

Am 17.08.2009 um 22:32 schrieb sumyee:

> Hi Rayson,
>
> If I used exclusive scheduling, wouldn't I lose 4 threads on a
> machine with 2 quad core CPUs?  I want to be able to dispatch 2
> parallel jobs to a machine with 2 CPUs, if possible.

you will need some PEs:

- one with a fixed allocation rule of 4, attached to the host with 2-
quad cores in the queue definition (name it smp4)
- one with a fixed allocation rule of 2, attached to the host with 2-
dual cores and with 1-dual core in the queue definition (smp2)
- one with a fixed allocation rule of 1, attached to the host with
only one core (smp1).

Then you can submit:

qsub -pe smp* 1-4 job.sh

You could use sequence numbers for the queue instances to to prefer
the nodes with smp4 attached over smp1 (or vice versa).

-- Reuti