[GE users] Queue priority strangeness.

udowaechter udo.waechter at uni-osnabrueck.de
Tue Aug 18 14:37:58 BST 2009


Hi.

On 08/18/2009 03:36 PM, templedf wrote:
> Dumb question: how do you know the nice value isn't working?
Well, as admin I have access to the machines and top says its nice 0.
When I submit something to the other queues, top says that the nice 
value of those jobs corresponds to the queue's configured priority.

Bye,
udo.

>
> Daniel
>
> udowaechter wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have a strange problem with one of our queues on GE 6.2u3.
>>
>> We have recently defined a queue containing a subset of our machines
>> that are in the main queue. This should be the longrun queue containing
>> those machines that are guaranteed to run for long times.
>> Anyway, the problem is, that the jobs in this queue all run wiht "nice
>> 0" although  it should have "nice 10"
>>
>> All other queues' priority is honored.
>>
>> How could I further debug this problem? Did anyone else experience this
>> problem?
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>> udo.
>>
>> Here is the config of the two queues:
>>
>> 1st, working priorities.
>>
>>
>> qname                 ikw
>> hostlist              @allhosts_ikw-slots_1 @allhosts_ikw-slots_2 \
>>                         @allhosts_ikw-slots_4 @allhosts_ikw-slots_8
>> seq_no                0
>> load_thresholds       np_load_avg=1.75
>> suspend_thresholds    NONE
>> nsuspend              1
>> suspend_interval      00:05:00
>> priority              7
>> min_cpu_interval      00:05:00
>> processors            UNDEFINED
>> qtype                 BATCH
>> ckpt_list             NONE
>> pe_list               make
>> rerun                 FALSE
>> slots
>> 1,[@allhosts_ikw-slots_1=1],[@allhosts_ikw-slots_2=2], \
>>                         [@allhosts_ikw-slots_4=4],[@allhosts_ikw-slots_8=8]
>> tmpdir                /work/tmp
>> shell                 /bin/bash
>> prolog                NONE
>> epilog                NONE
>> shell_start_mode      posix_compliant
>> starter_method        NONE
>> suspend_method        NONE
>> resume_method         NONE
>> terminate_method      NONE
>> notify                00:00:60
>> owner_list            NONE
>> user_lists            GE-users
>> xuser_lists           ikw nkg www-data
>> subordinate_list      NONE
>> complex_values        NONE
>> projects              NONE
>> xprojects             NONE
>> calendar              NONE
>> initial_state         enabled
>> s_rt                  INFINITY
>> h_rt                  INFINITY
>> s_cpu                 INFINITY
>> h_cpu                 INFINITY
>> s_fsize               INFINITY
>> h_fsize               INFINITY
>> s_data                INFINITY
>> h_data                INFINITY
>> s_stack               INFINITY
>> h_stack               INFINITY
>> s_core                INFINITY
>> h_core                INFINITY
>> s_rss                 INFINITY
>> h_rss                 INFINITY
>> s_vmem                INFINITY
>> h_vmem                INFINITY
>>
>>
>> 2nd queue, nice value not working:
>>
>>
>> qname                 ikw_longrun
>> hostlist              @allhosts_ikw_longrun-slots_2 \
>>                         @allhosts_ikw_longrun-slots_4 \
>>                         @allhosts_ikw_longrun-slots_8
>> seq_no                0
>> load_thresholds       np_load_avg=1.75
>> suspend_thresholds    NONE
>> nsuspend              1
>> suspend_interval      00:05:00
>> priority              10
>> min_cpu_interval      00:05:00
>> processors            UNDEFINED
>> qtype                 BATCH
>> ckpt_list             NONE
>> pe_list               make
>> rerun                 FALSE
>> slots                 1,[@allhosts_ikw_longrun-slots_2=2], \
>>                         [@allhosts_ikw_longrun-slots_4=4], \
>>                         [@allhosts_ikw_longrun-slots_8=8]
>> tmpdir                /work/tmp
>> shell                 /bin/bash
>> prolog                NONE
>> epilog                NONE
>> shell_start_mode      posix_compliant
>> starter_method        NONE
>> suspend_method        NONE
>> resume_method         NONE
>> terminate_method      NONE
>> notify                00:00:60
>> owner_list            NONE
>> user_lists            GE-users
>> xuser_lists           ikw nkg www-data
>> subordinate_list      NONE
>> complex_values        NONE
>> projects              NONE
>> xprojects             NONE
>> calendar              NONE
>> initial_state         enabled
>> s_rt                  INFINITY
>> h_rt                  INFINITY
>> s_cpu                 INFINITY
>> h_cpu                 INFINITY
>> s_fsize               INFINITY
>> h_fsize               INFINITY
>> s_data                INFINITY
>> h_data                INFINITY
>> s_stack               INFINITY
>> h_stack               INFINITY
>> s_core                INFINITY
>> h_core                INFINITY
>> s_rss                 INFINITY
>> h_rss                 INFINITY
>> s_vmem                INFINITY
>> h_vmem                INFINITY
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------
>> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=212810
>>
>> To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net].
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=212839
>
> To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net].
>

------------------------------------------------------
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=38&dsMessageId=212840

To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net].

    [ Part 2, "S/MIME Cryptographic Signature" ]
    [ Application/PKCS7-SIGNATURE (Name: "smime.p7s") 4.4 KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]



More information about the gridengine-users mailing list