[GE users] app that uses all cores on a host

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Aug 19 15:51:01 BST 2009

Hi,

Am 19.08.2009 um 16:36 schrieb cjf001:

> Guys -
>
> Don't know if this is common or easy or not, but I figured I'd ask
> here
> first....
>
> I'm adding a new app to our cluster - Agilent's "Momentum". This
> simulator
> just runs on a single host at a time (ie, no parallel environment),
> but
> it's "smart" enough to use all the available CPUs and cores on the
> host
> it's running on.
>
> So, I think this is going to be a problem for SGE. It's going to think
> it's assigning a job to 1 slot, when in reality it's going to use all
> the slots on that host. Also, on the flip side, if there's a single
> slot
> available on a multi-core host, it might assign the Momemtum job to
> that
> slot, but then Momentum will take over all the cores and interfere
> with
> the other jobs running there.

is there no environment variable for this in Momentum? We have a
similar case with ADF from SCM. If you don't specify "NSCM" there, it
will use all cores on a node, but it can be set in the jobscript to
the number of granted slots on this node, i.e. $NSLOTS. This way you
can even decide whether you want a serial or parallel run.