[GE users] auto rerun lower priority jobs when higher are waiting?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Aug 23 22:43:14 BST 2009

Hi,

Am 23.08.2009 um 14:15 schrieb jesperkrogh:

> Can I instruct gridengine to automatically rerun lower-priority
> jobs if
> higher are waiting in the queue. (if they are marked rerunnable)?
>
> The majority of our computations are doing checkpointing and are in
> fact
> rerunnable, but sometime a user really just wants to get a bunch of
> jobs
> on so they send it with a higher priority. But they still have to wait
> for the lower priority jobs to leave the nodes.
>
> It would be nice if gridengine just notiched that the running jobs
> ideed
> are rerunnable, so it just pulls them off and launches the higher
> priority stuff.

you will have to setup a checkpointing environment, which checkpoints
the job when the queue gets suspended and rerun it.

a) the high-priority jobs will need a dedicated queue (and your
configuration must allow the jobs to start, altough resources are
already occupied by the low-priority jobs)

b) the queue for low-priority jobs must be subordinated to the queue
for high-priority jobs

c) a checkpointing environment (for the low-priority jobs) which will
abort the job on suspend, and attached to the queue for low-priority
jobs

d) low-priority jobs must request this checkpointing environment,
maybe with a JSV for easy handling by the user

There is a Howto for the checkpointing operation:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/checkpointing.html

and a nice state diagram in:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/APSTC-TB-2004-005.pdf

See also the man pages "sge_ckpt" and "checkpoint". Note: for the
"when x" setting, no checkpointing will be done on migration (only in
time interval "when m"), it's a bug in the documentation.