AW: [GE users] non-advancing jobs in gridengine

joelandman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Aug 24 21:48:10 BST 2009

joelandman wrote:

> It looks like
>
> 	ulimit -s unlimited
>
> in the very top of the SGE execd script helped here.

I spoke too soon.  Looks like it ran once, but not the way I wanted.
Restarted it correctly, and we get the same problem.  I can confirm

landman at scalable:~> qrsh ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
pending signals                 (-i) 71680
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
stack size              (kbytes, -s) unlimited
max user processes              (-u) 71680

so we aren't running out of limits.

If I let SGE select the hosts, and don't use a machinefile, the job
fails to advance.  If I force those by hand, the job works.

job gets submitted with

	qsub -pe openmpi 128 -cwd ./run_script_SGE.bash

and

landman at scalable:~> qconf -sp openmpi
pe_name            openmpi
slots              128
user_lists         NONE
xuser_lists        NONE