[GE users] Scheduler policies

jfprieur jfprieur at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 17:27:11 BST 2009

Hello,

I am a relative noob to the field of cluster computing, I have succesfully deployed a Rocks cluster (20 nodes, 8 cores and 8GB/node, default SGE install puts 8 slots/nodes which is fine) and jobs are running fine on a basic level.

I am now starting to tweak the queue configurations. This cluster only runs serial jobs for now but some of those eg. Gaussian, use SMP. The problem right now is that if the user sets 4 CPU's in his input file, when he qsubs a job, it still only takes 1 slot. I find a lot of references to setting the number of slots for parallel jobs, not so much for serial SMP jobs. I woke up this morning with one node having three 8 CPU jobs and an 18 load factor! ;)

Would it be as simple as adding -l slots=x to the users submission script?

I also see a lot of references about configuring the slots, ideally each slot on my machine would be 1 CPU and 1GB, where would this be configured, complexes?

Finally on the "Managing the scheduler" wiki page is states: "The scheduler looks for queue instances on the least-loaded hosts that meet the resource requirements of the first job in line." Is there any way to change this to the scheduler looks for the most-loaded host that meets the resources requirements. I would like nodes to fill up instead of everything being spread out, or is this a bad idea?

I have been reading through the documentation, it is fantastic but slightly overwhelming for a new user.

Thanks for your help,
JF Prieur
Research assistant for Dr. Guillaume Lamoureux,
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry,
Concordia University, Montreal, QC, CANADA