[GE users] Scheduler policies

templedf dan.templeton at sun.com
Tue Aug 25 18:11:48 BST 2009

Wow.  That's a lot of background information you're asking for.  Let's
see if I can give you the summary version.  (You can get the details
from the docs.)

Slots are an attribute of the queue.  Slots are also a complex and can
be set as a complex at the host level if you want to limit the number of
slots in use across all the queues on a host.  Grid Engine does not
limit a job to the number of slots that it requests.  It's up to the
user to be honest about how many slots are needed.  For SMP jobs, you
can create an SMP PE that lets you requests multiple slots on a single
machine.

In the scheduler configuration (sched_conf(5)), you'll find the
load_formula attribute.  If you want to fill up hosts, you can set it to
"-np_load_avg", and it will choose the host with the highest load
average for each job.  Another solution is to set the
job_load_adjustments to "NONE".  That will have the scheduler pick the
least loaded host and put as many jobs there as it can.

Daniel