[GE users] Bad error handling in DRMAA

atlruds atle at numericalrocks.com
Wed Aug 26 08:13:47 BST 2009

Hi!

I have been doing some "missing setup" testing with DRMAA and it has
some issues, such as calling exit(1) an killing the whole program when
in can't find certain settings. Here is what I tried, basically
following instructions from DRMAA, starting with no DRMAA settings
specified:

All failures came from drmaa_init:

It started with gracefully telling me that SGE_ROOT was not specified

$ export SGE_ROOT=/tmp
prints error missing SGE_QMASTER_PORT and exit(1), not good

$ export SGE_QMASTER_PORT=99999
prints error missing SGE_EXECD_PORT and exit(1), not good

$ export SGE_EXECD_PORT=99999
Gracefully tells me that it cannot find a path

$ mkdir /tmp/default
Gracefully tells me that it cannot find a path

$ mkdir /tmp/default/common
Gracefully tells me that it cannot find a path

$ mkdir /tmp/default/common/bootstrap
SEGFAULT

It would be nice if DRMAA returned an error in the error string in
"drmaa_init" for all these cases, and not killing the whole program.

- Atle