[GE users] CPlex licenses on SGE cluster

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Aug 26 13:07:59 BST 2009

Software license handling on a cluster is interesting, the
implementation depends on specifics within your environment ...

In most cases you don't need to integrate the scheduler with the
license system:

- If you have a sitewide license the cluster scheduler does not matter

- If you have enough licenses to cover all available job slots than
the cluster scheduler does not matter, just get the software to work
on the cluster and don't bother teaching the cluster or scheduler
about the licenses

And in the more common cases:

- If the license is nodelocked to certain machines then handle it with
SGE requestable resources associated with those machines

- If you have less licenses than nodes and the licenses are only used
on the cluster than just handle this with a consumable requestable
resource that limits the number of running license-needing jobs to the
number of licenses you have

It only really gets complicated where you have a software license
server that serves clients other than your cluster. In that case you
actually have to make the cluster "license aware" because it needs to
poll the license server in order to find out how many usable instances
are remaining for each application or application feature. This is
where the "Olexen flexlm method" comes into play.

What it comes down to is that maybe 80% of the time you don't need to
really make the cluster "license aware" - you can just treat the
license issue as just another requestable resource with a built-in
limit.

-Chris