[GE users] memory limit on hosts

madpower prandtstetter at ads.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Dec 1 16:20:46 GMT 2009

Hi folks,

we are currently trying to implement a limit on the total amount of memory used by the jobs executed on the same host. I.e., we want that the sum of the job's memory usage is lower than or equal to a given limit. However, the limit should not be set per job or per user.

We tried a lot with ulimit but realized that there it is only possible to set the memory limit per job/process. Unfortunately, it frequently happens that our execution hosts are killed by user jobs using too much memory. Obviously, we do not want to limit the memory for one job to (total mem availabe) / (number of concurrently running jobs) but we want to be flexible such that jobs using more memory may share the memory with jobs using rather few memory.

So, if anyone already had this problem and found a solution, or any other one has any idea, how to solve this problem, please, be so kind and let us know.

Best regards,
Matthias