[GE users] Installing 6.2u4 with BDB spooling on NFSv4

jlb jlb at salilab.org
Fri Dec 4 16:40:12 GMT 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 at 7:49am, dom wrote

> are you running it on Linux?

Yep.

> If yes, until our last test, linux had massive problems with nfsv4
> mounted files systems.
> It was not stable and the mount are gone from one second to another or
> we permission denied errors.

Well, there are a lot of variables there.  Are you talking Linux as the
NFS client, server, or both?  What distributions were you using?

And, of course, this is why I'm testing.

> For sge we had a bug in our filesystem type detection. For this we are
> using a binary called fstype which can be found
> in the utilbin/arch directory. If you know that your nfsv4 is working,
> then you can deactivate this filesystem type check within the
> installation script.

OK, so this sounds like a known bug.  Thanks.  The other workaround, of
course, was to install the spooldb to a local filesystem during the
install, and then move it over to the NFS server post-install and change
the bootstrap file to point at the new location.

> I'm very interested in your experience with nfsv4.

I'll keep you posted.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin