[GE users] Reserving memory question.

gutnik gutnik at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 03:31:48 GMT 2009

I found this thread from about a year ago on how to reserve memory for
large jobs:
http://markmail.org/thread/lfypa4oglk2jzxxe

I'd like to implement (b) but it doesn't seem to be working. I set
mem_free to be consumable,
but then I can "qrsh -l mf=20G" and get multiple "20Gbyte" jobs
running on a machine with
only 24G ram. I thought perhaps "virtual_free" was special, so I tried
that too, but again,
there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many jobs get scheduled.

So what do I have to do to make method (b) work? I made mem_free
consumable. Now what?
Entering a complex value for each exec host seems like it should be
unnecessary (sge can
already figure out how much memory there is) but in any case, it
doesn't seem to help. I can
schedule many jobs, each of which would take all available memory.

What'd I miss?
   Vadim