[GE users] Java DRMAA Error : can't send response for this message id - protocol error ?

umanga aumanga at biggjapan.com
Mon Dec 7 04:47:23 GMT 2009

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply.
Is there  limit of jobs that I can submit using a single Session? I am using the same session for entire execution of my application,which submit more than 30,000 jobs to the SGE.

regrads,

templedf wrote:

Hmmm...  Never seen that one before.  The message id is 65535, which is
max int, makes me a little suspicious.  I think you may have overflowed
the comm lib. :)  Reisi, care to take a peek?

Daniel

umanga wrote:

Greetings all,

I am submitting  huge number of jobs using DRMAA.I am not using
runBulkJobs() , just submitting one job at time using :

    JobTemplate jt = sgeSession.createJobTemplate();
            jt.setArgs(job.getArgs());
            jt.setNativeSpecification(job.getNativeCommand());
            jt.setWorkingDirectory(job.getWorkDir());
            jt.setRemoteCommand(job.getWorkDir() + File.separator
                    + job.getRemoteCommand());

            for (IJobHandler h : jobHandlers) {
                h.beforeJobSubmit(job);
            }

            String sgeid = sgeSession.runJob(jt);
            sgeSession.deleteJobTemplate(jt);

I get the following error during the middle of my program execution
(which takes about 2 days to finish one).

Any tips?
Regards
umanga.

Caused by: org.ggf.drmaa.DrmCommunicationException: failed receiving gdi
request response for mid=65535 (can't send response for this message id
- protocol error).
    at com.sun.grid.drmaa.SessionImpl.nativeRunJob(Native Method)
    at com.sun.grid.drmaa.SessionImpl.runJob(SessionImpl.java:349)
    at
com.bigg.metagenome.grid.QueuedJobDispatcher.submitJob(QueuedJobDispatcher.java:60)
    ... 12 more