[GE users] Resource Reservation behaves strange under 6.2u2

jdobler dobler at lrz.de
Mon Dec 7 13:34:24 GMT 2009

Sorry for the delay, I was busy with other things.

> > I also do not understand why "qalter -w [p|v] ..." reported that it
> > found a possible assignment, but then the job could not be started.
>
> mem_free is not a conumable but a measured load, hence its value can
> change over time. You can make mem_free or (virtual_free) a
> consumable in `qconf -mc` which makes it more intuitional. I would
> prefer virtual_free and give each node the amount of real installed
> memory in `qconf -me <exechost>`. The scheduler will then take the
> computed complex *and* measured load into account - whatever is
> lower. Using virtual_free has the advantage, that you can define the
> real installed memory and oversubscribing it by 100 MB won't generate
> so much swapping (hence you can neglect the (delta)) (assuming you
> have a swap space defined).

We do have mem_free as consumable and also have it defined for each exec host.

> > Is it possible that qalter just checks the complex values while the
> > scheduler (?)
>
> Both qalter option? The difference should just be, that "v" assumes
> an empty cluster, but "p" honors the actual load.

There where jobs in different pe's affected, and if there was a usable machine available, both options indicated no error, but the job did not run. If there was no free machine, "-p" gave me a "no suitable queues".