[GE users] Symmetrical parallel jobs

cdwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Mon Dec 7 19:41:57 GMT 2009

I would like to schedule a parallel job onto (a) as few hosts as
possible, but (b) the slot count must be identical on all the hosts.

For a 16 slot job, assuming that I want at least 4 slots per host:

If I can get 16 slots on a single host, do so.
Otherwise, 8 slots on each of two hosts is okay
And 4 slots on each of four hosts is acceptable.

I've already got a parallel environment with 'allocation_rule' set to
'4'.  Submitting to this pone ensures that I get the very worst case
that I'm willing to accept.

I've also got a parallel environment with 'allocation_rule' set to
$pe_slots.  This ensures that I get all my slots on the same host.

Is there a way to insist on only symmetric numbers of slots on a host?
What I'm not allowed (from the example above) is 12 on one host and 4 on
another.

Failing that, is there a way to (a) make several PE's available to a job
and then (b) preferentially sort them?  Something akin to seq_no, but
for PEs?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris Dwan