[GE users] Symmetrical parallel jobs

cdwan cdwan at bioteam.net
Mon Dec 7 23:27:37 GMT 2009

Thanks very much for the tip.

Just to be super clear:
>> In the case of multiple parallel environments  whose names match the name string, the parallel environment with the most available slots is chosen.

Can I impose the sorting I want by setting the number of slots in the PE
configuration, or are you talking about the number of job slots
available via the queues at scheduling time?  I.e:  symmetric32 might
have 200 slots, symmetric16 (pe_slots = 16) might have 190, and so on.
If so, then that's exactly what I was looking for.

> Maybe there should be another allocation_rule $even with the same
> extension.  Meaning: give me the same on all hosts. Then you could
> specify $even:2 to avoid getting 3 on all machines. If more than one
> is listed, exactly these counts: $even:2,4,8,16

Yes.  That's also exactly what I'm looking for.  The wildcard PE is good
- but what you describe seems more elegant from the user perspective.

-Chris Dwan