[GE users] SGE_QMASTER_PORT not set

russray rray at semtech.com
Tue Dec 8 22:45:19 GMT 2009

I'm baffled by one machine that is now giving the following when a user types

qstat

error: could not get environment variable SGE_QMASTER_PORT or service "sge_qmaster"

The ports are defined in the /etc/services file as the following

sge_master      6444/tcp                        # GRID
sge_execd       6445/tcp                        # GRID

If I set the SGE_QMASTER_PORT variable to 6444, then it works.  However, I don't do this for any other machine on my network.  Any clues as to what is messed up on this machine?

Russell Ray
rray at semtech.com