[GE users] how do you use -dl with qrsh? (qrsh will flag an error for the value of the flag, but if the value is valid it disowns the flag)

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Dec 9 02:10:38 GMT 2009

Hi Bill,

Am 09.12.2009 um 00:47 schrieb bdbaddog:

> I'm running 6.2U4
>
> I beleive the argument to -dl here is valid, but then it errors with
> -dl not known
>
> qrsh -dl 12081339 -P lp -l s_rt=1200 -l h_rt=1380 -l coupons=2 -now n
> -nostdin -cwd -N blah  /bin/sh
> /home/bdeegan/work/main-plain/output/test/blah.sh
> error: Unknown option -dl
>

> Here I expect it's invalid, but it admits there's a -dl flag.
>
> qrsh -dl 1339 -P lp -l s_rt=1200 -l h_rt=1380 -l coupons=2 -now n
> -nostdin -cwd -N blah /bin/sh
> /home/bdeegan/work/main-plain/output/test/blah.sh
>
> Invalid format of date/hour-minute field.
> error: ERROR! Wrong date/time format "1339" specified to -dl option
>

> Any idea what's going on here?

it seems, that SGE is first checking the format of the supplied
values. When it's fine, it discovers thereafter that it's not a valid
option for qrsh at all. There is either a bug in the documentation or
the behavior of qrsh. I suggest to file a bug.

I'm not sure, whether a deadline is best for an interactive job while
you are waiting for the results in front of the terminal, as only the
priority up to the given date will rise - there is no guarantee that
it wil start for sure at that time. When you want something to run
for sure, it's best to submit an advance reservation first - when
it's granted the slots are reserved for your job. Then you can submit
the actual (interactive) job into this advance reservation.

In SGE, an interactive job is more handled like an immediate job by
default.

$ qrsh ... => will run in an interactive queue

$ qsub ... => will run in an batch queue

But:

$ qrsh -now no ... => will run in a batch queue

$ qsub -now yes ... => will run in an interactive queue

So, to keep you qrsh job hanging around until the advance reservation
starts, you need:

$ qrsh -now no -ar 1234 ...