[GE users] how do you use -dl with qrsh? (qrsh will flag an error for the value of the flag, but if the value is valid it disowns the flag)

bdbaddog bill at baddogconsulting.com
Wed Dec 9 02:37:59 GMT 2009

Reuti,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:10 PM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Am 09.12.2009 um 00:47 schrieb bdbaddog:
>
>> I'm running 6.2U4
>>
>> I beleive the argument to -dl here is valid, but then it errors with
>> -dl not known
>>
>> qrsh -dl 12081339 -P lp -l s_rt=1200 -l h_rt=1380 -l coupons=2 -now n
>> -nostdin -cwd -N blah  /bin/sh
>> /home/bdeegan/work/main-plain/output/test/blah.sh
>> error: Unknown option -dl
>>

>> Here I expect it's invalid, but it admits there's a -dl flag.
>>
>> qrsh -dl 1339 -P lp -l s_rt=1200 -l h_rt=1380 -l coupons=2 -now n
>> -nostdin -cwd -N blah /bin/sh
>> /home/bdeegan/work/main-plain/output/test/blah.sh
>>
>> Invalid format of date/hour-minute field.
>> error: ERROR! Wrong date/time format "1339" specified to -dl option
>>

>> Any idea what's going on here?
>
> it seems, that SGE is first checking the format of the supplied
> values. When it's fine, it discovers thereafter that it's not a valid
> option for qrsh at all. There is either a bug in the documentation or
> the behavior of qrsh. I suggest to file a bug.
>
> I'm not sure, whether a deadline is best for an interactive job while
> you are waiting for the results in front of the terminal, as only the
> priority up to the given date will rise - there is no guarantee that
> it wil start for sure at that time. When you want something to run
> for sure, it's best to submit an advance reservation first - when
> it's granted the slots are reserved for your job. Then you can submit
> the actual (interactive) job into this advance reservation.
>
> In SGE, an interactive job is more handled like an immediate job by
> default.
>
> $ qrsh ... => will run in an interactive queue
>
> $ qsub ... => will run in an batch queue
>
> But:
>
> $ qrsh -now no ... => will run in a batch queue
>
> $ qsub -now yes ... => will run in an interactive queue
>
> So, to keep you qrsh job hanging around until the advance reservation
> starts, you need:
>
> $ qrsh -now no -ar 1234 ...

For historical reasons, the scripts I'm working on use qrsh in order
to wait for the completion of what is effectively a batch job.
They do use -now no.

The jobs will be asking for some consumable resources (Max for a give
type of host, as we're not yet running 6.2U3 or above) and can't use
exclusive access. The idea was to use -dl to have the priority bump up
and insure at some point the job would be able to get exclusive access
to a node.

-Bill