[GE users] predict times

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Dec 10 15:57:33 GMT 2009

Am 10.12.2009 um 15:57 schrieb cgull:

> Thinking if i had a script outside of SGE to let me know how long
> jobs are likely to take. I will not be able to know the likely
> resources for pending jobs and when they are likely to finish?
>
> If users had to enter a time in every job script is it then
> possible to know when resources are likely to be free, when pending
> jobs expected to be finished?

When all enter a fixed hard timelimit and proper resource requests
with resource reservation turned on (-R y), then it's possible to
compute the latest start time and hence the latest end time (maybe
the job starts earlier when other jobs don't make use of their
requested time; or back-filling grants a job an earlier start time).
But:

This will work only with a pure FIFO (first-in first-out) scheduling.
When you setup any policy (urgency, share-tree, functional), a later
submitted job can be put on top of the waiting list and invalidate
all expectations of the start- and runtime.

It could be an RFE to extend SGE with some "real time" features:
switched on it will only work in FIFO mode (with backfilling,
automatic resource reservation), use the "default_runtime" as h_rt
and enforce it, and output in `qstat` the computed latest starttime
and so on.